Monday 7 April 2014

Nollywood Actress Chita Agwu becomes DSTV presenter; speaks on Anchoring Igbo show Akanchawa!

Chita Agwu Akanchawa DSTV

Delectable movie star Chita Agwu is one actress who has warmed her way into the hearts of many with her humble disposition and alluring looks. 

The Ebonyi State-born actress ventured into Nollywood through the help of  star actress Oge Okoye and today, she has made a mark with her dexterity in the ever-growing movie industry.  

A graduate of Mass Communication from Ebonyi State University, the light-complexioned damsel has added broadcasting to her profile as she now anchors a program titled Akanchawa on DSTV.  
In this interview with City People she opens up on how she got into acting and her new presenting gig amongst other issues.


How did you start anchoring the programme Akanchawa and what is it all about?

It's all about the Igbo culture and tradition. A lot of families have forgotten about all that and we are trying to bring them back. That's what Akanchawa is all about and it's mainly for Igbo people. If you can’t speak Igbo, you can’t come for the programme. Akanchawa means how you started from the scratch, like your grass-to-grace story in everything you do. It's not just about movie people, businessmen and people in the corporate world. They all come to tell us how it all started for them in Igbo language.


More when you continue



How do you get guest speakers for the show?
A lot of people are seeing it already and they keep telling me they want to  come for the program but it's not meant for everybody. If you aren't playing big in your sector, you can’t come for the show. A lot of viewers would want to know what you have achieved in life and all that.


What gave you the confidence that you could anchor an Igbo programme?
I am an Igbo girl who speaks Igbo very well. Actually when I started, many people didn’t believe in me . When they called us for audition, I spoke my own Igbo dialect, I am from Ebonyi State. Some of those producers who were there for the audition doubted if I could anchor it but oga Chico Ejiro stood by me. He said I am pretty and I can speak Igbo, and that my face is good for the programme.


After the audition, I left and forgot about the show until they called me and said I should come for recording. When I came, Florence Onuma was the person-in-charge; she handed over to me and said I should continue. Since then I have been doing it and it's been fun. There was a day I had my own session, it was all about me. They call it 'My Day' but it's not out yet, everything about where I come from and all that.


How has the programme affected your career?
Right now I am more popular as a lot of people know me with the programme. Even on Facebook, I get a lot of responses. And for my movie career, I have gotten some movie jobs through Akanchawa in many Igbo movies. I am very cool with the programme because I speak Igbo a lot. I know I am good at it and I have the confidence and personality to anchor it. I have been having good responses as well.


What are some movies you have worked on recently?
A lot, God has been so faithful. Since last year I have been busy till date. I have movies like Nwa Abakaliki, and lots more.



Any challenges in the industry?
We have our ups and downs but God is in control. Like the artistes' fees, problems at location and all that.


Do you intend going into something else in future?
Of course I will, everything is not all about acting so that when the chips are down, you can still sustain yourself. I deal on female clothing and all that. I have been doing that since anyway.


Why do you always keep a low profile?
Nothing, I just love to live a quiet life and I am not the type that likes all that noise and hype.


What has made it so easy for you to cope as a TV presenter?
I attended Ebonyi State University where I acquired bachelor's in Mass Communication, that's why the TV presenting is really working for me.


What were your growing-up years like?
My growing-up years were fun. I grew up in the East, Ebonyi State. We are 7 in number and I am second to last.

Chuta Agwu Akanchawa

When did you relocate to Lagos?
That was in 2009, when I started working with an oil-servicing firm.
 

How did you get into Nollywood?
I remember when I was in the East, Enugu, I came across a friend who told me about acting. But before then, I was doing my IT in Abuja. Oge Okoye happens to be a family friend and I have known her for long. So I went to visit her on location. After watching them, I felt I could join Nollywood. Oge was like, 'are you sure you want to act, okay see Afam Okereke, he is a director go meet him'. 

And that was it. Afam later called me to do a movie  in 2006. That was the reason why when I was working, the stress was just getting too much so I decided to go back into acting. I met with Tuvi James who directed me to register with AGN. I started going for auditions. But I thank God that now I can stay in my house and I will be called to do a movie.

What movie brought you into limelight?
It was in 2011. I can’t say a particular movie brought me to limelight, like I did Adaure, and the movie sold out.

So from what you said earlier, Oge Okoye brought you into Nollywood?
Yes.


But it was once reported that you both fought?
No, she is my sister for life. I can’t quarrel with her, its not possible. I look up to her.


Who are some other colleagues you are close to?
Ebube Nwagbo, Angela Okorie, Nkem Ike. Genevieve Nnaji, I like her a lot. I love everybody in the industry.


Who owns the Akanchawa programme?
Chico Ejiro.





Credits:
CityPeopleMagzineblog
Picture Modifications by shalliespurplebeehive

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very much appreciated.Thanks for Stopping by!

Need To contact me?
Email: shalliespurplebeehiveads@gmail.com

Twitter: @shalliebee